Friday, September 28, 2012

Nighttime daily routine

So the nighttime routine will feel a lot like the morning routine minus the makeup application. In this case, obviously, we're removing the makeup... and I do a few additional steps some time during the week.

Before we go into the routine, let me make a plight: DO NOT GO TO BED WITH YOUR MAKEUP STILL ON! That is oh so very bad for your skin. See, during the night is when your skin rejuvenates itself: it breathes a lot and repairs itself. If you still have makeup on, it clogs the pores and prevents the repair process from happening. That is one sure way as well to increase your likelihood of having some breakouts.  So, if you're dead tired and can't do the whole routine (which takes about 5-10 minutes, by the way, so you have very little excuse), then at the very minimum, do Steps 1 and 2.

1. Eye makeup remover
I sometimes use eye makeup remover and sometimes I'll use the makeup remover towelettes. It depends on my mood and, when I travel a lot, I keep those towelette handy and will use them regularly so as not to let them dry out on me.

If I'm using an eye makeup remover, my product of choice is the Gently Off Eye and Lip Make Up Remover by MAC. http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/179/1480/Products/Skincare/Removers/Gently-Off-Eye-and-Lip-Makeup-Remover/index.tmpl  I apply some on a cotton pad (I prefer the square ones... don't know why) and will wipe it gently over the eye area, making sure that I remove all the eye makeup, including what I've applied at the lower lash line and in the eyebrows. Now, after I'm done, the area around the eyes may look a bit like a raccoon. That's okay, I'll wash my face next.

If I'm using the makeup remover towelette, I apply the same principles but using a portion of the towelette. I've tried a bunch of towelettes and my favorites are the Neutrogena Make Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes.  I buy those either at Target or CVS. I've also used the CVS version of these and they worked fine though I still have a slight preference for the brand name.

As a reminder, as I've mentioned in a previous entry (see http://celestesmakeupcorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/light-touch.html ), you will want to use light strokes when removing your makeup (especially the eye makeup) and especially if you hit a stubborn spot.

2. Cleanser
If I've used the eye makeup remover, I'll use again the Nutritive Cleanser by Perricone MD. http://www.skinstore.com/p-9373-perricone-md-nutritive-cleanser.aspx

If I've used the makeup remover towelette, I'll use the remainder of that towelette for the rest of my face. I generally have to turn it around because it has the eye makeup on one side. ;)

3. Moisturizer
I actually use the same moisturizer, which is the Face Finish Moisturizer by Perricone MD. http://www.skinstore.com/p-9372-perricone-md-face-finishing-moisturizer.aspx

4. Eye cream
Again, this is the same as in the morning so the StriVectin Eye Concentrate for Wrinkles. http://www.skinstore.com/p-15008-strivectin-sd-eye-concentrate-for-wrinkles.aspx

5. Lip treatment
I don't always do this but will do it 2-3 times a day.  I will either apply a lip balm (I use one by Badger... they don't make that specific one anymore; I've had it for years!) or the Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub by Bite Beauty.  The two serve different purposes: the lip balm will moisturize my lips whereas the lip scrub will (as the name implies) scrub the lips.

I have yet to purchase the full product but I had received a deluxe sample from Sephora of that lip scrub. http://www.sephora.com/whipped-cherry-lip-scrub-P303109  If you have problems where your lips flake, this is a good product to help with that: you'll essentially be scrubbing your lips for a bit and then remove the product. The product is made in such a way that it does leave some moisturizer on your lips so they don't totally dry out.

Several years ago, a MAC representative had given me the tip of using your tooth brush on your lips to get rid of the flaky skin on your lips. That totally works and is obviously cheaper than the lip scrub product. However, if you will use the tooth brush method, just note that you'll likely need to moisturize the lips as the bristles will dry out further your lips.

6. Foot cream
I bet that you weren't expecting this one! I don't do this nightly. However, if I've been dancing barefoot (so that's at least Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays), I will generally apply Dr. Hunter Foot Comfort Cream.  It's something that I apply right before I go to bed as I don't like to walk around with this cream on my feet. http://www.drugstore.com/caswell-massey-dr-hunter-foot-comfort-creme/qxp155717?catid=51846

No comments:

Post a Comment