Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Product Review - e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner

A few weeks ago, I was running out of my usual brush cleaner (MAC Brush Cleanser; http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/135/307/Products/Accessories/Tools/Brush-Cleanser/index.tmpl ) and I decided to try the e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner.  The price is much cheaper (MAC: 14$; e.l.f.: 3$) so I figured that maybe I could save money this way and I've tried many e.l.f. products that I ended up actually liking better than the MAC products so maybe this would be the case too.

It sure wasn't.

I tried spraying the product on the brush directly as they said. I tried spraying the product on paper and then wiping the brush as I do with the MAC product normally. I tried a mix of both. It just wasn't cleaning the brushes to the same level as the MAC product does. Now they do recommend that you use the Daily Brush Cleaner for a daily clean and then the shampoo once a week to clean deeply. Yeah... no... I'll do it all in one step, thank you.

Another thing that had me disappointed was that the cleaning was so not up to the level that I was used to with the MAC product that my pencil brush was actually not doing a good job when I tried to apply the gel liner with it. I had to resort to using a liquid liner because it just wasn't working.

It also required more product from the e.l.f. product vs. the MAC product... and then if you do a size comparison, it's 3$ for 2 oz vs. 14$ for 8 oz. So the saving is really not nearly as much as I had originally thought it'd be.

The MAC product has some component in it that makes the brushes dry faster and the e.l.f. product doesn't. That's not a big deal for me as I rarely will do applications requiring the same brushes in a close time frame but it could be an issue for someone who does. Or if I ever had the need to completely revamp my makeup for something.

The only thing that I did like about the e.l.f. product, though, was the smell. It smells much nicer than the MAC one does.  But, really, that's not enough to make me purchase this product ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment